The following features are key enhancements for SirsiDynix Symphony Version 3.3.
Service to End Users
- My Lists Feature Added for Users To Create and Maintain Permanent Lists of Titles
- Tabbed Display Replaces the Review My Account Display
- Updated Interface to the e-Library Includes Support for Local Cascading Stylesheets
- User Can Bookmark Pages and Create Permalinks to Pages
- Option to Display Dates in Textual Format
- Ability to Circulate Items in Groups (Circulation Sets)
- Acquisitions Invoice Tax Features Expanded
- Acquisitions Fund Level 5 and Fund Level 6 Added
- Ability to Limit Title List of Orders by Library
- Support for VIP (Vendor Integration Port)
- Enhancements to Support Cataloging, Importing, and Displaying UNIMARC-formatted Bibliographic and Authority Records
- Group Booking Functionality Added to WorkFlows Java Client Booking Module
- New Global Call Number Modification Wizard
- Can Now Assign “Available Soon” Current Location to New Items as They Are Created
- Search Library Preferences Added to Cataloging, Accountability, Materials Booking, and Serial Control Wizards
- New Statistical Fields Added at Title, Call Number, and Item Levels
- Ability to Circulate Items in Groups (Circulation Sets)
- New User Name Fields
- New User Name Display Configuration
- New “Penultimate” Renewal Feature
- Outreach Module Enhancements
- Bibliographic Record Loading Reports and SmartPort Wizard Now Support UNIMARC Title Control Key and MARC Tag Hierarchy Match and Load Options
- Updates to Debt Collection Reports
- Academic Reservations Module Added to WorkFlows Java Client
- Sirsi Voice Automation (SVA) Enhancements
- Web-based Staff Client Enhancements
- SirsiDynix Symphony on MSSQL Server
- Certify Support for Windows Server 64-bit Systems Using Oracle
- WorkFlows Java Helps Accessible through Proxy Server
My Lists Feature Added for Users To Create and Maintain Permanent Lists of Titles
The e-Library has been enhanced with the My Lists feature, which gives users theability to create one or more lists of selected items. Unlike the Kept record list,which is a temporary list of selected titles that is deleted when the user ends the e-Library session, the lists created with the My Lists feature are saved on the e-Libraryserver for the user to access in future e-Library sessions. Users can create anynumber of My Lists lists and maintain any number of titles on each list.In addition to using the My Lists enhancements, libraries also now have the abilityto turn the Kept list feature on or off to allow or disallow users from makingtemporary lists of selected titles. By default, the Kept list feature is enabled to maintain continuity with previous versions of the e-Library.
With the My Lists feature, users can do the following:
- Create lists, modify lists, rename lists, and remove lists they no longer want. A user’s My Lists list remains on the e-Library server until the user removes the list, or until the list is removed automatically after a certain time period of list inactivity.
- Select which list is active.
- Add titles to or remove titles from the active list.
- Send a selected list by email to the specified email address.
- Sort list contents by title, author, or call number.
- Limit the list contents by a particular library.
- Specify whether brief, full, or all entries display for each title in the selected list.
Tabbed Display Replaces the Review My Account Display
The Review My Account display in the e-Library has been redesigned to include tabs so the user can more quickly access the desired information. SirsiDynix Symphony administrators can configure environment variables to control what information and features are available on certain tabs.
- Account Summary Tab — The Account Summary tab displays information about the user’s current library transactions.
- Account Summary Tab — The Account Summary tab displays information about the user’s current library transactions.
- Holds Tab — The Holds tab shows a list of holds that the user has placed, and whether the holds are available or unavailable. Depending on how this tab is implemented by the library, users can cancel holds, edit holds, suspend holds, or activate holds on this tab.
- Bills Tab — The Bills tab shows a list of unpaid bills that have been assessed to the user’s account.
- Requests Tab — The Requests tab shows a list of requests the user has made of the library. Users can view the details of and response to a particular request, or cancel a request on the tab.
- Suspensions Tab — The Suspensions tab displays a list of suspensions for the user, if the library uses suspensions.
- Bookings Tab — The Bookings tab displays a list of booked items for the user, if the library allows users to book items for a period of time.
- Reservations Tab — The Reservations tab displays a list of reservations the user has made on reserved material.
Updated Interface to the e-Library Includes Support for Local Cascading Stylesheets
The e-Library interface design has been changed to include the following enhancements.
- Support for the use of local cascading stylesheets, so the e-Library look and feel can be customized for specific libraries or logins.
- Faster response time, since many graphics have been eliminated and color changes are now configured with stylesheets and not in the page files. For example, virtually all of the buttons are now just text.
User Can Bookmark Pages and Create Permalinks to Pages
The e-Library has been enhanced with the ability to bookmark library catalog pages, and to create permanent links (permalinks) to library catalog pages that can be used in a Web log (blog) or on a Web page. With the bookmarks or permalinks, users can click a bookmark or a link to return to particular search hits page or other library Web pages of interest to them.
Option to Display Dates in Textual Format
The option to show date displays in a textual format on receipts and in public access displays was added. Dates in SirsiDynix Symphony previously displayed only as numbers, in MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY format. Although various countries typically use single date formats, end users are regularly confused about due dates because so many software products do not conform to single dates. This enhancement gives sites the option to display dates explicitly as “December 10, 2007” or “12 October 2007” instead of using numbers to indicate dates.
Acquisitions Invoice Tax Features Expanded
More invoice tax features were added to SirsiDynix Symphony Version 3.3.
(more text here)
Acquisitions Fund Level 5 and Fund Level 6 Added
Now users can assign up to six fund levels for a fund. Acquisitions wizards that allow limiting fund searches by fund level now include searching by Fund Level 5 and Fund Level 6. Fund Level 5 and Fund Level 6 will appear in the Fund Level drop-down list in the search window for these acquisitions wizards.
Ability to Limit Title List of Orders by Library
Users can now limit the list of title orders by library. A new search default property, Orders for Library, was added to the acquisitions order wizards. This property appears below the Item Library property on the Defaults tab.
Support for VIP (Vendor Integration Port)
The Vendor Information Port (VIP) helper searches the library catalog and a vendor catalog simultaneously by ISBN for title records, adds brief title records, and allows the user to initiate the creation of orderlines for titles. This helper is available in the order wizards if the library has purchased access to the helper.
The VIP helper displays search results from the library’s catalog and the vendor’s catalog in the same window so the user can easily determine if the title is already in the library catalog, and/or if the title is currently available from the selected vendor. If the library catalog already contains matching title records, the user can select a particular title and view the bibliographic information, call number and item information, and open orders information (if the title is already on order). If the vendor catalog contains a matching title record, the user can view the availability, pricing, and discount information.
If the library catalog does not contain a matching title record but the vendor catalog does, the VIP helper has an option to add a temporary title record. The user can select which catalog format to use for the brief title record (such as MARC or UNIMARC). Information from the vendor catalog record (such as ISBN, title, author, and publication information) automatically populates the bibliographic fields of the brief title record. The user can edit the imported information as needed. After saving the brief title record, the user can create an orderline for the title.
If the user wants to search for the same title in another vendor’s catalog, the user can simply select another vendor from the VIP Vendors list field and start the search again. The ISBN does not need to be re-entered for the new search. This ability to quickly switch vendors allows the user to compare material availability and pricing among vendors.
For more information, see the Vendor Information Port Helper topic.
Enhancements to Support Cataloging, Importing, and Displaying UNIMARC-formatted Bibliographic and Authority Records
Many enhancements were made to the SirsiDynix Symphony system for cataloging, importing, and display UNIMARC-formatted bibliographic and authority records.
Bibliographic record loading reports and SmartPort support UNIMARC title control key and MARC tag hierarchy match and load options
- Authority Map wizard accommodates import of UNIMARC records
- Added default authority UNIMARC formats which can be used for UNIMARC format validation
- New NSB/NSE helper for non-sorting begin and non-sorting end character input
- NSB/NSE non-filing characters added to formats
- SmartPort — Z39.50 Gateway Destination Elements Enhancements
- Right-to-left Oriented Text now Displays Right-justified in View Pane and Search Hit Lists
For more information, see FAQs: Working with UNIMARC Formats.
Group Booking Functionality Added to WorkFlows Java Client Booking Module
The Group Booking functionality has been added to the WorkFlows Java client’s Booking module. With group booking, related single-booking items can be grouped together for booking and check out as a single job. Booking Profile policies are created that link the single-booking items together, and group booking requirements lists indicate the quantity and delivery and return shipping methods for these items. For example, a Booking Profile policy, MTGROOMGRP, can be created to book meeting rooms. Any time a meeting room is booked, other related items are set up for use.
For more information, see FAQs: Understanding the Group Bookings Feature.
New Global Call Number Modification Wizard
SirsiDynix Symphony structure requires a separate call number record when volume information is different. This means that if an entire set of volumes needs to be reshelved (for example, when updated volumes arrive), currently a staff user must update the call number (which is the same for each volume) on each volume individually. A new Global Call Number Modification wizard was created to allow the operator to select one or more call numbers for a title to be updated simultaneously, allowing all volumes to be handled efficiently.
For more information, see the Global Call Number Modification wizard topic.
Can Now Assign “Available Soon” Current Location to New Items as They Are Created
Users can now automatically set the current location of items to an “Available Soon” location as they are created in the cataloging wizards. A new behavior property, Set Current Location of New items to AVAILABLE SOON, was added to the catalogingwizards where users can create new items. When this behavior property is selected, new items will be assigned the first current location (found in policies) of the AVAILABLE_SOON type. When the items are later scanned in a circulation wizard, this location will be automatically removed. The new “Available Soon” behavior property appears in the following wizards.
• Add Items
• Add Title
• Call Number and Item Maintenance
• Duplicate Title
Search Library Preferences Added to Cataloging, Accountability, Materials Booking, and Serial Control Wizards
The Search Library Preference behavior properties have been added to the cataloging, accountability, materials booking, and serial control wizards that use the Item Search window. The Search Library List Type property allows the SirsiDynix Symphony administrator to control what libraries are accessible in the Search Library list when searching items.
New Statistical Fields Added at Title, Call Number, and Item Levels
New fields were added to the title, call number, and item levels that will capture item level circulation by a defined timeframe (for example, by month) and at the title level will provide a cumulative total of circulations for all items on a call number and/or all call numbers on a title. Reports were added to clear out the time-based fields and update statistical reports to take advantage of these new fields.
Ability to Circulate Items in Groups (Circulation Sets)
The new Circulation Sets feature allows users to group individual items together to circulate as one set of items.
Sites interested in using the Circulation Sets functionality should contact SirsiDynix Client Care to configure this feature on their systems.
The Circulation Sets feature includes new wizards for creating, displaying, maintaining, and removing circulation sets.
The Circulation Sets feature includes the following wizards. These wizards are found in the Maintain Sets group on the Circulation toolbar.
- Add Circulation Sets — This wizard is used to create a circulation set.
- Display Circulation Sets — This wizard is used to display a list of all items contained in a circulation set. If you type a set ID, all the items belonging to the set display.
- Modify Circulation Sets — This wizard is used to change the makeup of a circulation set.
- Remove Circulation Sets — This wizard is used to remove a circulation set.
Users can identify the circulation sets as parental or non-parental.
- Parental — A parental circulation set has a separate bibliographic and item record designated as the parent item. When items circulate as part of a parent circulation set, the items are circulated using the same loan period and circulation rule as the parent item.
- Non-parental — A non-parental circulation set does not have a separate bibliographic and item record designated as the parent item. The intent of the non-parental circulation set is to provide a vehicle for bulk processing within the Circulation module. Each item in a non-parental circulation set will circulate using its own circulation rule.
Circulation sets can be checked out, checked in, renewed, transitted, and more using the standard circulation and offline circulation wizards. The Item Search and Display wizard, the Item Search in the circulation wizards, and Item Search helper now include the Set ID search option.
For more information, see FAQs: Circulating Items in Groups.
New “Penultimate” Renewal Feature
Users can now configure a warning for when an item is allowed only one more renewal. This warning will appear in the Renew Item and Renew User wizards and in the renewal functions of the Checkout wizard.
New User Name Fields
In Version 3.3, the user name has been expanded to include the following new fields:
• First name (maximum 20 characters)
• Preferred name (maximum 20 characters)
• Middle name (maximum 20 characters)
• Last Name (maximum 60 characters)
• Suffix (maximum 10 characters)
User Search and the User Search helper have been modified to search on the data in any of these name fields (except for Suffix). Wizards, tabs, and helpers have been modified to display the new fields, and user load reports and programs have also been updated.
When sites upgrade to Version 3.3, these new user fields will be added to the user records. The User Name field will be renamed “Last Name,” and the previous user name data will populate this new Last Name field. After the Version 3.3 upgrade, sites will need to run the new Refactor User Name report which will convert the user name data in the Last Name field and populate the new First Name, Middle Name, and Suffix fields. (The Preferred Name field will not be populated because it is a brand new field for SirsiDynix Symphony.)
New User Name Display Configuration
The SirsiDynix Symphony system can now be configured to display the user name
in the WorkFlows and e-Library clients in one of two ways:
• Last Name, Suffix, First Name, Middle, Title (default setting)
• Title, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Suffix
If the specific name fields are not populated, these fields will not display. If the Use Preferred Name option is selected in the user record, the user’s preferred name will display instead of the first name.
Outreach Module Enhancements
The following enhancements were made to the Outreach Services module:
- (Need text here)
- Delivery Lists Sorted in Delivery Order — The delivery list capability was updated so that patron delivery lists can be in actual delivery order. In previous versions, there was no intentional order of the delivery list so it cannot be used to provide a suggested delivery route; it simply indicates which patrons require delivery.
Bibliographic Record Loading Reports and SmartPort Wizard Now Support UNIMARC Title Control Key and MARC Tag Hierarchy Match and Load Options
Data fields in the UNIMARC bibliographic format do not always include the same data as the equivalent MARC21 tags. Previously, the bibliographic load programs did not allow the appropriate options for loading UNIMARC bibliographic records. Now, these programs have been updated, and the title control key options and MARC tag hierarchy options in the reports and wizard have also been updated to display the UNIMARC tag selections. The following reports and wizard have been updated.
- Load Bibliographic Records
- Load Bibs for Selection
- Load Bibs with Order Information
- SmartPort wizard
Updates to Debt Collection Reports
Changes have been made to the Debt Collection group reports to function better in a consortia environment and to improve the speed of creating, processing, and updating the debt collection files.
The debt collection reports have been modified to write information to new debt collection databases or tables in SirsiDynix Symphony. The debt collection tables store information about users sent to collection agency, the bill information sent, and the debt totals. These tables are updated when a user is sent to collections, when a user sent to collections makes payments or gets new bills, or when all bills are paid and the user is removed from collection agency.
When a user qualifies for collection agency based on selections in the Collections Information report, the user will be updated with a status of COLLECTIONS. The date/time the user is sent to collections and subsequent bill information is written to the debt collection tables. The Collections Update report will update the user collections information previously sent to the collection agency with new payment activity, new bills, and so forth. Because the Collections Update report also includes a new “synchronization” mode, the Collections Synchronization report was no longer needed and has been removed.
For detailed information about the new Debt Collection reports, see the report topics and FAQs: Using the Debt Collection Reports.
Academic Reservations Module Added to WorkFlows Java Client
With Version 3.3, the Academic Reservations module has been added to the WorkFlows Java client. Academic Reservations allow users to make advance reservations on Reserve materials to guarantee that the materials will be available at the Reserve Desk at the requested time.
The Academic Reservations module includes the following features.
• Reservation profiles can be created to determine how reservations may be madeon reserve items.
• Reservations can be restricted by item type and by user profile.
• Reservations may be placed by the minute. Starting and ending dates and timesmust be specified for each reservation.
• Reservations can be configured to be unavailable for certain times even though the Reserve Desk is open
The academic reservations wizards appear on the Reserves toolbar in the Reservations Information and Maintenance wizard group. The following wizards are used to create, display, modify, and remove reservation information.
- Create Reservations — This wizard guides the user through the process ofcreating a reservation. .
- Display Title Reservations — This wizard displays reservation record(s) for a title.
- Display User Reservations — This wizard displays reservation record(s) for a specified patron.
- Modify Reservations — This wizard makes changes to the reservation record information.
- Remove Title Reservations — This wizard removes the reservation record(s) for a title.
- Remove User Reservations — This wizard removes one or more reservations made by the specified patron.
Sirsi Voice Automation (SVA) Enhancements
The following enhancements were made to Sirsi Voice Automation (SVA).
- SVA Now Supports Patron’s Language— SVA has been enhanced to recognize the Language field in the patron’s user record and use the correct language for the patron when a call is made.
- SVA Updated with the Latest Text to Speech Engines — Previously, the SVA Spanish language engines were not speaking correctly, and for this reason, this version of SVA supports completely updated text to speech engines for all languages. With this update, Spanish language is now working properly. All SVA sites will receive the new speech engines when upgrading to this version of SVA.
Web-based Staff Client Enhancements
A series of enhancements were made to the StaffWeb client appropriate for all types of libraries, instead of being focused on K-12 school libraries. These enhancements will include screen label changes so that fields can be configured to not be as school-centric. Enhancements were made to the StaffWeb client to work with Unicode-enabled systems, and to support localization of the StaffWeb client so that translation into other languages can occur.
SirsiDynix Symphony on MSSQL Server
A growing percentage of current and prospective SirsiDynix customers require the Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL) database solution. Support for MSSQL will meet this need and also accommodate customers who wish to take full advantage of a relational database with additional flexibility when installing SirsiDynix Symphony.
Certify Support for Windows Server 64-bit Systems Using Oracle
Previous versions of SirsiDynix Symphony supported 64-bit versions of Windows Server only for the ISAM environment. Sites using Oracle were installed using the 32-bit version of Windows Server. Since Windows Server now ships the 64-bit version by default, an enhancement is planned to complete certification of SirsiDynix Symphony and the Oracle RDBMS on 64-bit Windows systems.
WorkFlows Java Helps Accessible through Proxy Server
In the WorkFlows Java client, the ability has been added to access helps through a Proxy server. To configure, select the option Preference-Desktop-Desktop Setup-Proxy Server Configured. When the option is selected, Host and Port fields are enabled and the valid host domain and port number must be entered. When configured, the system property is set so that any HTTP request is routed through the proxy server.