ALA Character Set Keyboard Shortcuts
When inserting diacritics, special characters, and symbols from the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols set, key combinations can be used instead of selecting characters in the Symbol Table window.
Unlike the larger Diacritics and Symbols table in which you select combinations of letters and diacritics, the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols set applies diacritics to a letter you enter from the keyboard. When using the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols, enter ligatures, paired diacritics, and multiple diacritics from the letter and moving left to right, bottom to top.
- To enter an A with a dot below and a grave above, type the letter A, then press CTRL+ALT+R (dot below the letter, from the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols table), then press ` (grave, non-spacing, from the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols table).
- To enter “ng” as a ligature, type the letter N, then press CTRL+ALT+K (left ligature, from the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols table), then type the letter G, then press CTRL+ALT+L (right ligature, from the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols table).
Important Considerations When Using ALA Keyboard Shortcuts
- The ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols check box must be selected in the Loaded Character Sets window (accessed by selecting the Tools menu, then selecting Loaded Character Sets) for you to use the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols set in the Symbol Table.
- The ALA character set keyboard shortcuts may not work as expected for international keyboard layouts (all keyboard layouts that are not American English keyboard layouts). Since the ALA Character Set keyboard shortcuts may conflict with shortcuts already in use on an international keyboard layout, SirsiDynix recommends selecting the Disable Diacritic Keyboard Shortcuts property in wizards that use the MARC editor. The property is available in the wizard properties for the Add Title, Duplicate Title, and Modify Title wizards. When the Disable Diacritic Keyboard Shortcuts property is selected, the keyboard shortcuts used by the Symbol Table's ALA character set are disabled. Catalogers must then use ALA Character Set table or keyboard shortcuts that are supported by the international keyboard layout that they are using to add characters to the table.
- A keyboard shortcut may cause unexpected behavior if the same keyboard shortcut is used in another application. For example, the keyboard shortcut for the superior dot (CTRL+ALT+G) is also used by Google Desktop to move the cursor to a search box. SirsiDynix recommends disabling or changing the keyboard shortcut in the other application so the keyboard shortcut can be used with the ALA Character Set of Diacritics and Symbols.
ALA Character Set Keyboard Shortcuts
Character Default Keystroke Shortcut Acute CTRL+ALT+B ae, lowercase CTRL+ALT+5 AE, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+5 Alif CTRL+ALT+. (period/decimal point) Ayn CTRL+ALT+0 (zero) Breve CTRL+ALT+F British Pound CTRL+ALT+9 Candrabindu CTRL+ALT+O (letter o) Cedilla CTRL+ALT+P Circle above letter CTRL+ALT+J Circle below letter CTRL+ALT+T Circumflex, non-spacing Use the Symbol Table window to enter Circumflex, spacing ^ (circumflex) d with crossbar, lowercase CTRL+ALT+3 D with crossbar, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+3 Dot below letter CTRL+ALT+R Dot in center of line CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+9 Double acute CTRL+ALT+N Double dot below letter CTRL+ALT+S Double tilde (left half) CTRL+ALT+Z Double tilde (right half) CTRL+ALT+[ (open bracket) Double underscore CTRL+ALT+U Eth, lowercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+; (semicolon) Eth, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+3 (same as D with crossbar, uppercase) Grave, non-spacing Use the Symbol Table window to enter Grave, spacing ` (grave) Hacek CTRL+ALT+I High comma, centered CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+6 High comma, off-center CTRL+ALT+M Inverted cedilla CTRL+ALT+X l with slash, lowercase CTRL+ALT+1 (one) L with slash, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+1 (one) Left hook CTRL+ALT+W Ligature (left half) CTRL+ALT+K Ligature (right half) CTRL+ALT+L Macron CTRL+ALT+E Miagkii znak Use the Symbol Table window to enter Musical flat ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+0 (zero) o with hook, lowercase CTRL+ALT+, (comma) O with hook, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+, (comma) o with slash, lowercase CTRL+ALT+2 O with slash, uppercase Use the Symbol Table window to enter oe, lowercase CTRL+ALT+6 OE, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+7 Plus/minus Use the Symbol Table window to enter Pseudo question mark CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+2 Right hook CTRL+ALT+Q Script l CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+. (period/decimal point) Subscript 0 ALT+0 (zero) Subscript 1 ALT+1 Subscript 2 ALT+2 Subscript 3 ALT+3 Subscript 4 ALT+4 Subscript 5 ALT+5 Subscript 6 ALT+6 Subscript 7 ALT+7 Subscript 8 ALT+8 Subscript 9 ALT+9 Subscript left parenthesis ALT+[ (open bracket) Subscript minus ALT+- (minus sign) Subscript plus Use the Symbol Table window to enter Subscript right parenthesis ALT+] (close bracket) Superior dot CTRL+ALT+G Superscript 0 ALT+SHIFT+0 (zero) Superscript 1 ALT+SHIFT+1 Superscript 2 ALT+SHIFT+2 Superscript 3 ALT+SHIFT+3 Superscript 4 ALT+SHIFT+4 Superscript 5 ALT+SHIFT+5 Superscript 6 ALT+SHIFT+6 Superscript 7 ALT+SHIFT+7 Superscript 8 ALT+SHIFT+8 Superscript 9 ALT+SHIFT+9 Superscript left parenthesis ALT+SHIFT+[ (open bracket) Superscript minus ALT+SHIFT+- (minus sign) Superscript plus Use the Symbol Table window to enter Superscript right parenthesis ALT+SHIFT+] (close bracket) Thorn, lowercase CTRL+ALT+4 Thorn, uppercase CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+4 Tilde, non-spacing Use the Symbol Table window to enter Tilde, spacing (use in URLs) ˜ (tilde) Turkish i without dot, lowercase CTRL+ALT+8 Tverdyi znak CTRL+ALT+7 u with hook, lowercase CTRL+ALT+- (minus sign) u with hook, uppercase Use the Symbol Table window to enter Umlaut CTRL+ALT+H Underscore, non-spacing Use the Symbol Table window to enter Underscore, spacing (use in URLs) _ (underscore) Underscore, spacing (use in URLs) Use the Symbol Table window to enter Upadhmaniya CTRL+ALT+Y